Thursday, March 14, 2013

PILEDRIVING

Having lived on or near the Mississippi most of my life I saw pilings put together and inserted into rock or very deep into the ground. They represented an amazing downward force.

Well, so did James Mason the Irish-American chess player. What a guy--he took on almost everybody. He did have some trouble with Steinitz when Steinitz was younger (and drilling almost everyone around.) Mason did beat Steinitz a couple times when the Lion had gotten older.

The Russians have championed their short hero Chigorin but Mason wiped the floor with him repeatedly except as Mason was nearing the age of his death (in 1905).

There is a lot of variety in this 42 page booklet which has a cover of Mason putting cement shoes on a Knight. If you purchased $100 or more worth of chess goods and events from The Chess Butler (me) during the months Nov-Dec-Jan 2013, you are entitled to a FREE copy. This time I am giving away 35 of them, the most ever. If you want to buy one separately, they are $12.95 plus $3.50 for first class shipping.

Also you will find out what the final surprise volume is in this series when you buy or receive #11, Mason the Piledriver.

It's called MASON THE PILEDRIVER!


I've been busy

There is also Bird's Brain v From (Gambit) which I wrote. It is 17 pages of pain being inflicted by 1...e5 against 1.f4. Of course there was no desire to supply a refutation especially since IM Tim Taylor believes that when he beat a GM at the Global Do-Dad Open in Minneapolis in 2005 that he "proved" one line might be out of business. So I gave Tim a lot of space and a pat on the back for his achievement. Most of the rest of the annotated games show Black bludgeoning the sense out of White!

In fact there is a special treat in store for those who buy this: 6 games by David Gedult (Titled: Waiting for Gedult). Ole Dave hammers various Parisian players in the early 70s and none of these games are in ChessBase! (I always try to provide value.)

But I learned something important from David and his cronies, White has one Serious weakness. I shouldn't say I NEVER knew anything about it, because I had used this weakness to win a few games myself--but after seeing what Gedult (and others did) it showed I was definitely on the "right track" but missing some of the clues.

You see, whenever my opponents opened with 1.f4 or 1...f5 I would start salivating at the appropriate weaknesses (f2 and f7). All I could think about was launching incredible kingside attacks.

I spent time over choosing these games and a few developed from 1.f4 e5 2.e4, a King's Gambit, so you have to be aware of what you "might" be getting yourself into.

Price is for a Specialized piece of work with secrets and new games and material in annotated form plus extensive commentary by myself on this opening. I love watching Black win over a punk opening. Henry Bird, I think, could be at times, a Bird Brain.

Comes in PDF download form.

No comments:

Post a Comment