Saturday, January 5, 2013

NIMZOVICH IS A WINNER

Or if you prefer "Nimzowitsch."
456 pages, hardcover, from McFarland and written by the chess rock group of Skoldager & Nielsen.

This really is chess history written well. The authors took a genius approach. Almost like a documentary, but guiding us using Nimzo's own writings (of which he did a lot!) Nimzovich had a lung disease about 1908 and of course later in what killed him.

He could be temperamental and he could answer his critics (Tarrasch was particularly insufferable). Lots of photos, drawings, crosstables, and quotes from everywhere with excellent translations by the authors who passed it on to my friend Tony Gillam to clean up into very readable English. Did I mention GAMES? No. Many, many games, lots of them annotated by Aron Nimzovich and a few others such as Teichmann. ANd, a detailed index on top of that.

This is one of those $50 books which, in my opinion, should sell for more. Extremely handsome in size and content, but if you, like me, believe the proof is in the pudding, this one is hard to put down. Why was I reading it at 4 a.m.? Because it was great!

This volume is the early years to mastership from 1886-1924. A second volume is planned according to the authors and one can easily tell how much fun the authors had in putting this one together. The usual beautiful job, and economy of space, by Robert Franklin and staff. I'll have more to say in the fuller review in the next edition of Bob Long's Chess Views. If you aren't a subscriber, contact me about the cost and FREE WEEK!

It looks like I will have to order more of this magnificent volume already as the pre-orders ate them up. You may not like chess history all that much but you will like it a lot more when you check this jewel out.

Everytime a new book is announced by McFarland I know I will see "insipid" reviews which are not reviews at all but 1 or 2 line plugs to keep McFarland sending them free review copies. Doh! to quote my friend Homer.

contact bob@thinkerspressinc.com

No comments:

Post a Comment