Thursday, December 13, 2012

GREAT EXPECTATIONS IS MY MOTTO

When I sell or am open or go to tournaments I always expect and hope to do well or I don't go. That doesn't mean my expectations are always met but that's what I go into the fracas feeling.

Some years ago when I was in the magic effects business I went with my Demo Man to an event in Decatur IL for a one day convene with magicians. I loaded up my LTD and we drove a long way. At the end of the day John and I were depressed. We had enough stuff with us to sink the Bismarck! We didn't know we would have competition, we weren't told that. It turns out we sold 4X what the other guy did and twice as much as the Pro from St. Louis we replaced. We weren't satisfied.

Shoot for the MOON!

I've had an organizer fire me when she told me where to sell and how to sell. I was not  invited back the next year because I ignored her! For the next couple years they invited various bozos  who it turned out she couldn't stand (maybe they DID what she told them to do!) either. Well, she invited me me back, eventually, and their percentages were up again! And we got along just great. Really.

Probably what annoys them is when I say, "You are the organizer, do I make suggestions about how you can do a better job?" The answer, of course, is no I don't.

Today Mark Capron paid me a compliment. Mark said they had a record turnout at the Iowa Open this year, about 130 or more. Said he copied an idea I once had about charging out of towners less in Entry Fees! (What a concept!) Unfortunately he lost the site for next year because the NEW hotel management accused chess players (falsely he adds) about ruining the ceiling in one of the rooms and they complained about it a week later after OTHER groups had been in that room.

So today was a success. The most people I had seen in my Gentlemens Chess Club "shoppe" in many a moon and not only that, they made it worth my while to hang around until 5:00 p.m. Of course I am now bone-tired.

Lots of chess sets, dvds, and books most of us haven't seen in a long time lead the way. Lots of war stories. fun, cookie eating, and renewing old acquaintances.
Even a couple guys were there to look at my building and asked about the "leasing rates." Who knows?

I must say that Dale Suilmann's chess sets were a very fine lot generating many questions and even a sale with maybe more coming.

Going to do this one more time before Christmas: December 21 from 1 p.m. - 5:00 p.m. because I am a glutton for punishment. Different sets and books too--that's how much stuff I have. Should be able to let you know next week what to expect. Nice to see Scott Johnson and his son Matt too for the first time.

Wished I had remembered to make some hot chocolate.

This is the part of chess the "internetters" have forgotten about--the camaraderie of meeting, face-to-face, good friends and old friends.

Thanks for coming guys.

PS: By the way Charles Dickens stole that headline from me!

bob@thinkerspressinc.com

1 comment: