Wednesday, August 1, 2012

DEVIL'S ADVOCATE

When I was younger my Father, who will be 90 this Saturday, pinched me by taking the other side of every issue which was important to me. In effect, questioning my thinking, beliefs, and results. It wasn't so much insulting as annoying because, it was frequency.

I don't know whether or not it had a good influence on my critical thinking skills, debate, being logical, or living through a hard life, but there it is. In the end, one day, he said to me, "You sure were lucky to pick chess as your niche."

I replied, "Yes Dad, for 25 years I have been lucky." There isn't much harder work than trying to convince someone to part with their "hard earned." If what you sell has no benefits, the sale is going to be astronomically difficult. For example, if I was in a sporting goods store and someone approached me about buying mountain climbing equipment I would have to defer him instead to the two guys who lost their lives in Peru climbing a mountain face which never needed climbing in the first place EXCEPT by them.

In the stock market there are lawsuits about stock performance, not being warned in advance of slipping sales (which usually makes the stock go even lower!) Thus Zynga, maker of that fabulous "time waster" Farmville has found itself no longer the darlings of those who couldn't get enough to fatten their wallets. I thought the stock market was risks up or down. If they hadn't been informed of a potential for a stock rise, and it did, would they sue for that?

In a case of daring "Devil's Advocate" I note trial proceedings yesterday for the legal team of Samsung. Their lawyer "pleaded" (his words) with Judge Lucy Koh (herself a former patent lawyer!) to let him have one more say, one more attempt, even to change the conversation, and after 4 attempts already the judge had enough, making the guy liable for a Big Contempt citation and possible jail time (for the next bit of theater).  Exclusion of certain evidence from the courtroom to the jury was presented OUTSIDE the court for the news media (despite the judges otherwise instructions!). Oh man did the judge hit the roof! The lawyer may not be skating on thin ice but falling through it. Let's give the bastard some jail time, throw his license in the sewer.

He went too far. In MY opinion, he was ACTING... big time acting. Pretending to be crushed by the blows of the other side (Apple) and implying it was "fair" for Samsung to do whatever it wanted for the sake of innovation (the fact that they hadn't innovated at all on this case seems to be lost on him, they just copied). He brought up lots of "stuff" that had NO bearing on the case (Samsung has 100,000 patents for example. He never proved that AND that bit of "theater" doesn't touch on this case where just MAYBE Samsung made an exception!)

This guy, is all over the map. In the fairness of JUSTICE, I wonder what he would have argued had he been on Apple's side of the fence. A different kind of acting is my hunble guess.

What will the jury do? Sympathize or Reject as "too much ham." Juries are harder to predict than lawyers from what I have seen and heard.

So the question is, when you come ($265) to the Fall Chess Classic, this October (26-28), how will I sell you on one of the most fabulous chess sets I have ever marketed? A Staunton design $795 value (no box, no board, no Jaques Staunton made up credentials) for $595.00. The $200  discount is partly for coming to see because when the event is through, Sunday afternoon, the price WILLLLL rise (just like people do when the judge enters the courtroom).

Let's see if every week, leading up to the Big Top Event if I can come up with other reasons (benefits) for you to show your cheery, smiling face.

Contact: bob@thinkerspressinc.com

No comments:

Post a Comment