Saturday, June 9, 2012

"THEY" SAID IT WOULDN'T BE DONE

Whoever "they" are.

Probably by the end of the week, Purdy Annotates The Greatest Games Vol. 1 will go to the printer, along with Bronstein the Mechanic.

I found the files and the time to combine Vols. 1 and 2 of C.J.S. Purdy's Fine Art of Chess Annotation and Other Thoughts.

Hold It!

Not as simple as that. Nothing is.

I grouped and reordered the "World Championship Games." Another section is "Master Games from Around the World" and then the section of "Australian and New Zealand" games. Sounds simple--it wasn't. The software, because some of these files were made with PageMaker 6.5, started "barking" at me. However, I tamed the little beasts by blowing a Saturday evening. You will love the look and consistency.

The end of the book commentary will be put into another, separate book, along with commentary from Vols. 3 and 4 of that same series. Hence what you are getting is a whole book of JUST annotated games with ONE exception:

At the front there is about 10-12 pages of "notes" by Purdy on how to improve, what to study and how to do that. That kind of material from Vols. 1 and 2 was combined.

It will run around 350 pages.

Vol. 2 of the games of Vols. 3 and 4 will also be combined AFTER I see how well Vol. 1 does. If it does well, I will produce the whole Monty. If you already have Vols. 1 and 2 the choice is up to you, but this volume will be easier to use. I may put a few more diagrams in, but then that increases the chance of error.

Original order will be interrupted and the games with follow chronologically with the integration of Vols. 1 and 2.

It will be priced at $39.95 and will be a nice tome of games where you can really learn due to the splendid notes with variations and "Freudian-Purdy-like" insight.

If you out there in the Blogosphere make it known you want a copy when issued, contact me right away as I am doing 100 to begin. When I contact all the people on my list who like Purdy stuff, I suspect they will go like hotcakes... this is no marketing B.S. jivin' hype.

I need a couple days to finish up and put some artwork together for the cover--which is already in my brain. I wouldn't wait if I were you because after I do these two books I will be working on something else and have no time nor space to reprint them. I can't believe how many people complained they couldn't get these after I sold them off. Now they are saying they are too expensive on the internet so this should take care of that.

The integration will see a commonality in typeface and cleanup instead of how the two stand-alones looked.

The cover will have a new picture of Purdy which very few have seen.

$39.95 + $5.00 for S&H in the USA, a little more elseewhere. Specs subject to change but this looks pretty solid at the moment.

Don't put this off. I have had a LOT of requests for this edition and I finally found a chance to do it!

Contact: bob@thinkerspressinc.com

No comments:

Post a Comment