Thursday, May 10, 2012

BIG CHESS PROBLEM

One thing I have been told, over and over and over, this past year (!) is that older guys HATE losing to "kids." I don't know how old these kids are, but I suspect they range from 8 to college.

I am positive some have quit playing because they get paired with kids whose rating shows NO reflection of their strength because at school, in clubs, they tend to play each other. I know how that problem could be solved but the USCF pays me nothing and the big tournament directors don't care or KNOW what to do. They should care, it affects their bottom line... That matters to me.

1101 W. 4th, Davenport IA
But one thing that is seldom mentioned is the "smirks," slobby attitudes, the "I know more than you do" look on their faces and that really HURTS the egos of the "older guys." No respect and isn't that what "gangs" are about? Respect.

That's why I love the name for my chess club, the Gentlemens Chess Club. No room for snobs, dickheads, or loudmouths. I am running a tournament this weekend, through my GCC member Joe Willett. It is FREE. It will be interesting to see who shows up. I'm not making money off of this GCC anyway, so it's no problem for me to throw out the unsuitable. But, I give everybody a second chance on stuff like that.

In the meantime, I have begun work on Special Report #4, which is not free (like #3 was recently). It will be called TAR BABY or something like that, as in, "Beating the Tar out of Brat Kids (Babies)." Already have a cartoon in the works. To be a member, if you are at all interested, even if you can't make it here every week, "Ya never know." Cost is $50 through July. You also get previous reports and future ones, totaling 6.

While my response anticipation is not HUGE (??), I have 5-6 members (Country Gentlemen as George Eichhorn would call them) from out of the area! "Ya never know."

bob@thinkerspressinc.com

No comments:

Post a Comment