Tuesday, January 3, 2012

THE KING'S GAMBIT

It's on fire again, the opening. Yes, recently Carlsen and Nakamura have played it. Both won. Nakamura's may have been "iffy" but the point is, Black has to KNOW a lot! If caught by surprise (had Naka played it before?) it can be dreaded. If the guy did play it "once" before, did he stop playing it because of that one time?

In other words, lots of questions to answer. And Nakamura is liable to play anything.

Many years ago, when the King's Gambit was in one of its lulls, Thinkers' Press published a book by Larry Christiansen and Bob Raingruber (and maybe Manual Joseph?). It had three printings, which for TPi was a big deal.

Then later came Gallagher's book and after that, into hiding again.

Since I knew that tournament books don't do too well anymore (which is unfortunate because a TB is a lasting memory of the many things that happened. And it's in ONE book not spread over a search revealing 10 bazillion entries like we get when a Search is made.

When I decided to do Abbazia 1912 (I even like the name!) I knew it wouldn't do very well as a tournament book, so I cut it to an openings books and a tactics book. I don't know if that was the right decision yet but I have sold over 20% of the 100 I had printed and I really haven't even had a chance to push it. You'll probably hear more about it soon, if I haven't run out.

Now I understand that a book on the King's Gambit is scheduled by Quality Chess and one other company (?) I've heard the schedule has slipped on the King's Gambit book, so we don't know when (if) it will actually show.

In the meantime our "puppy" is $30 and shipped anywhere in the USA for free. If you are from out of the country, add $5.00 and I will go through the custom's form filling out process and post it to you first class. Already I am getting orders for it from overseas.

Thanks... that's it for now.

PS: Any comments on yesterday's ChessBase piece on Rybka or my reaction? More has been posted by CB today and it has that "irritating ring" of yelling loud enough to not only make a point, but to follow old lines of logic that if one is forceful enough, the argument itself, whether true or not, beats the opponent into sob-mission.

bob@thinkerspressinc.com

No comments:

Post a Comment