Friday, November 18, 2011

A THANKSGIVING THANKSGIVING

Most of us know that next week is Thanksgiving in the US and I think also in Canada.

Everyone pushes for Greeting cards, presents, and best behavior for the upcoming Christmas and Holiday Season but I want to offer something to my customers, and soon-to-be customers a month before that, for Thanksgiving.

Tomorrow, at the Gentlemens Chess Club at 1101 W. 4th St., Davenport, IA 52801, I am having a HAT DAY tournament (wear some kind of funky hat!).

But I want to do more than that. I have someone interested in Leasing/Buying my building and I would like to find out whether there is any chess growth potential beyond the 12 PAID members I have. Maybe a couple FIDE events there next year, my chess shoppe, a place to play and congregate.

I am aware at this time the hours are a little funky because there is only one of me. I think I could triple membership, and all that in time.

Last night I gave my 7th workshop lecture and 2 people showed. It was on an opening this time, the Sicilian Sveshnikov. Not real encouraging to me since I put a lot of time in preparing it.

But Thanksgiving is coming up and that creates all sorts of reasons for people to do other things... at least that's what "everyone" is telling me. In the late 80s and 90s I was selling chess products at a big tournament, every year, at Thanksgiving. There would be 100-150 people there, in Milwaukee. I made it to like 12-14 events! People were glad to see me and purchase everything I brought, and this was before the internet. Thus, people were going out of their way to have a fun time at Thanksgiving and it ran, 4 days!!!

Maybe because all those guys (and a few gals) are older now, their priorities have changed, but all I am saying is that, "It's Thanksgiving" doesn't really explain anything.

SO I AM MAKING A CHANGE JUST T SEE IF IT MAKES A DIFFERENCE... read on Samson.

The Entry Fee for tomorrow is $35, $30 if you are a GCC Member or wear a Funky Hat. But I am going to drop everything $10, for a ONE DAY EVENT, Saturday. So regular EF will be $25, or $20 if you are a GCC member or wear a Funky Hat.

In the past week I have gotten RSVPs about NOT coming, but not one about COMING, so it is pretty hard to PLAN anything (tables, chairs, boards, etc.)

So let's see if this makes ANY difference. Round 1 starts at 10 a.m. Nov. 19th. Game in 60. Let's bring down the house.

Tomorrow I will have some of my Opening Chess Books there for sale. At present I am working on a NEW catalog.

See ya there!

bob@thinkerspressinc.com

No comments:

Post a Comment