Wednesday, November 16, 2011

THE PLEASURE OF WATCHING A CHESS DVD

Probably I watch 85-90% of all the DVDs on chess which I receive so I can properly evaluate them. Once in a while I will forego the "pleasure" of doing that if, for example, a Grivas DVD is sent because he READS from his notes! Why not just put them on a PDF and send out? No personality, and even the content isn't interesting. I can't seem to find others who will agree with that sentiment, online. Maybe they are afraid ChessBase will quit sending them review copies! Offline they DO agree with me.

In some sense that is changing because now we have to Download the DVDs from Germany which means, at least to me, burning them to a DVD to watch them because storing them on a hard drive is going to use up space very fast. In fact, I don't know of anyone who stores CB DVDs on their hard drive. I'm sure there are some.

At any rate, I was online for a bit tonight looking for "The Baltimore Bullet," one of my favorite "pool playing" movies. I have it in VHS, but can't remember when I last watched anything on my TV. I see it is available as a Region 2 (Japan, Europe, etc.) I looked to see what one had to do to watch a Region (Zone) 2 movie. Good grief. Special cables, a laptop which eventually will get stuck on that particular zone, etc. The movie was good enough for VHS, as was the "Fourth Protocol," but not good enough to get a Region 1 label. Then there is the "Jigsaw Man" with Michael Caine and Lawrence Olivier. Not available in Region 1 either.

But, as far as I can tell, the ChessBase DVDs play on all Windows machines, but not Macs! Lots of people have Macs these days, ask their competitors: Dell, Asus, Acer, Lenovo... and even wily but confused HP. But CB refuses to do programming for the Mac. In fact, CB does a lot of strange things. However, in order to save postage CB will be sending all DVDs via the internet now. That doesn't sound like a very quick method of sending unless somehow they have just compressed the daylights out of it!

The Good Thing!?
But here's the good thing about DVDs. Like anything else, you can watch them over and over. Unlike other things and Regions, to get better and better you probably will enjoy watching them again and again, esp. if you are selective in what you want to see, and you can easily do that. That's a biggie.

Recently, in Chess Gazette 159 I recommended the 3 series set by Viktor Bologan of his famous Sicilian DVDs, and I still do. If YOU didn't get one of my DVD catalogs, send a request and I will fire one off to you. In the meantime I will be working on getting the numbers up at the HAT tournament this weekend at the Gentlemens Chess Club. And a USED booklist, and a Catalog.

So keep sending those cards, letters, and orders in to keep me in the mood.

Thanks,


bob@thinkerspressinc.com

3 comments:

  1. Bob,
    I couldn't agree with you on your comments about ChessBase not supporting the Macintosh platform. I just had a good discussion with one of the other people who follows your blog—I believe he along with many other PC users don't realize how close the two operating system are, when you look "under the hood!" When Steve Jobs decided to commit Apple to System X they used the basic framework of the NEXT operating system. Consequently, System X has a strong base with "UNIX" based underpinnings. There have been many programs ported over to the Mac in the past 10 years and I have written ChessBase more than once to ask why they don't support the Mac. Each time, they really don't give me a reason. They just say that there are no plans to port ChessBase over the Mac at this time. Even with the Mac only holding down a 10% market share right now, it still makes sense to consider supporting this platform! I honestly don't know what the cost would be to do the actual programming, but I just don't see that as a reason to make it prohibitive!?

    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, I hit the " send" before previewing my post. My first sentence in the first post should have read, "I couldn't agree more with you on your comments about ChessBase not supporting the Macintosh platform."

    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  3. It could be that ChessBase does not want to carry double inventory (Windows & Mac). Or they may be converting to a Cloud based system when the buyer downloads from a server thus cutting out the middleman or retail seller.

    If you have a product that you can "force" you buyers to use Windows why would you produce for the Mac? Also when I looked at replacing my chess computer it would have cost me twice as much to get a Mac as Windows-PC with equivalent hardware.

    I do not want to start a Mac-Windows discussion, but I can see why CB does not support Mac.

    With the CB iPad app I have the power of CB online for $4.99 of course I cannot save my games in this app, but as a playing guide it is very good. I think we will see more companies publishing e-books and apps for chess as we go forward.
    Ron NIt could be that ChessBase does not want to carry double inventory (Windows & Mac). Or they may be converting to a Cloud based system when the buyer downloads from a server thus cutting out the middleman or retail seller.

    If you have a product that you can "force" you buyers to use Windows why would you produce for the Mac? Also when I looked at replacing my chess computer it would have cost me twice as much to get a Mac as Windows-PC with equivalent hardware.

    I do not want to start a Mac-Windows discussion, but I can see why CB does not support Mac.

    With the CB iPad app I have the power of CB online for $4.99 of course I cannot save my games in this app, but as a playing guide it is very good. I think we will see more companies publishing e-books and apps for chess as we go forward.
    Ron N

    ReplyDelete