Monday, November 21, 2011

BLACK FRIDAY THIS FRIDAY

Black Friday sounds ominous like some sort of calamity, but it's just retails' way of saying, "We need a cash infusion at this time of the year." Sure, some businesses like Wal-Mart don't need that, but for the rest of us, it's a great way to meet mortgage payments, insurance costs, property tax payments, and added payroll (which I won't have). Not to mention inventory invoices.

HOURS THIS FRIDAY
So this coming Friday, instead of taking a day off to squander and wander, I will be at the 1101 W. 4th St. SHOP in Davenport from 11 a.m. through 3 p.m. I hope to have some chess sets, books, and other chess doodads there on SPECIAL to open the floodgates.

Of course, being Thanksgiving the day before, there will be no Thursday evening workshop. Will spend some time with my son Nate's family and friends and maybe even play a little chess! Hope you get a chance to do that too.

NEW CATALOG THIS WEEK
Am just about finished with a new catalog, this one a little different format, and fewer pictures (to make for a faster download) and only on TWO SUBJECTS : Openings and Chess History plus a few odds and ends.

POPULAR
All of a sudden three items are finally starting to move and maybe it's the holiday season or they have just been discovered, I do not know. They are three TPi products:
a) Lasker & His Contemporaries #6;
b) The Center Counter Rising DVD and 205 page PDF; and
3) The King's Indian Attack downloadable PDF.

If you are in town this Friday, stop by. BTW, there is no tournament this coming weekend.
The NEW catalog will be released tomorrow or Wednesday with another slightly different ordering approach, so make sure you have ink cartridge replacements handy to print it out. I print out virtually everything I send to my customers and possible customers for quick reference.

What I found interesting about the Openings Pricelist/Catalog was TWO things:
1) Almost every opening is represented and some in inventory depth (Slav and Sicilian for example); and

2) Even though it is about 10 pages or so, it's lean. That is, there could be more titles listed but for those which aren't there is little customer interest. And there are a few titles I am currently out of and can't get in time to list with this catalog, so they will be added as a Supplement.

ADVERTISING AND MARKETING SANDWICHES
I've been mistaken about enclosing non-first class mailed catalogs in packages I send out, apparently I am not supposed to do this. Even though such items go 4th class, the post office wants their 44 cents. So the only way I can get new promotional material to you is through PDF downloads (whereby the post office gets nothing, to their ultimate detriment) or through first class mailings.

I've started a new spreadsheet for doing first class mailings. The spreadsheet will serve as a database to make occasional first class mailings to buying customers, something you don't see much of these days. If I can get a printer and label making to cooperate, regular buyers will hear from me more often via mail (called Direct Response).


NEW IDEAS
All the time and one was in a 3 hour phone conversation yesterday to Las Vegas while sipping a hot chocolate in Barnes & Noble. I hope to tell you more about it in 2012. Designed to:
1) Help under 2000 rated players; and
2) Help those rated over 2000 to 2400.

But they are TWO different objects. Let's see what happens. This fellow could use the $$$ and I can use the Action, so stay tuned.

bob@thinkerspressinc.com

No comments:

Post a Comment