Monday, August 29, 2011

JOHN PURDY R.I.P.

On Saturday, in Australia, he died according to Ian Rogers and Frank Hutchings. Heart failure 8 years after some aortic surgery. I think he was in his late 70s.

I will miss him too because I did meet John and Frank in 1998 due to Ralph Tykodi at our first Chess Festival.

John was a big engaging fellow, with dark hair (unlike his bald father, CJS Purdy). At least once he was Australia chess champion. Very strong tactically he had GM Lubosh Kavalek on the ropes in one of the games I saw before making a mistake.

A very fine gentleman, he and Frank will be made Honorary Members of the Gentlemens Chess Club.

Though CJS used John's skills in his writing examples, sometimes it was to show up John's chess shortcomings. The time we (Ralph and I) spent with the pair was warmly rewarding and comforting in the Purdy projects that Thinkers' Press, inc. took on.

The first lecture at the Gentlemens Chess Club will take place this Thursday at 7 p.m., at 1101 W. 4th St., Davenport, IOWA. A monumentally and humorous game between Zukertort and Blackburne. Hope you can make it.

bob@thinkerspressinc.com

No comments:

Post a Comment